Sunday 27 February 2011

Yee hah! The cushion cover is finished.

As a result of watching Debbi Shore on Create and Craft, I started doing some log cabin patchwork with some material I got in Abakhan in Liverpool. Maggie and I spent hours in there with the lights failing at one point after flickering for ages and a staff member getting stuck in the lift as a result of the power failure. It was my first visit to that store. When I used to live in Llandudno I used to go to the store in Mostyn and I loved that. The Liverpool store feels different but it's still full of loads of great stuff, including wool which I'm buying a bit of lately as I made some 'loopy' scarves at Christmas. Anyway, I digress as ever. That one square of patchwork wasn't brilliant but I went on to make three more and so I sewed them together to make a 49cm square. I then realised that I wanted to make it fit a cushion pad already in use but currently covered in a cover I made years ago which wasn't finished to a high standard at all so was ripe for 'renewal'. This meant that I had to add 16cm of material as a border round the patchwork, so Maggie and I went for our first visit to T.P Textiles in Latchford, close to Warrington. We found the glorious blue cotton almost immediately and since the curtains Maggie has spotted have blue/turquoise circles on them, I thought that colour would be great as it also matches some blue in the patchwork. I also found some material for temporary curtains in our new house; which we'll be moving into around March 25th; it was only £1.50 a metre so an absolute bargain and a unoffensive colour and good flowing material. The tassles happened as a result of a visit to Ikea believe it or not. Maggie and I went with my sister Shelley, my mum and step-dad George. I saw some cushions I liked the look of which has tassles, which got me to thinking that I could do that. I had a quick look inside the cushion and yes, it was do-able by me. I bought the wool for the tassles in T.P. Textiles and then watched a quick video on youtube; http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/204/emma_salk.html about how to do them and the rest as they say is history. I must also give Debbi Shore the credit for reminding me of the basics as I bought her dvd 'Sew what?..Cushions' which is excellent and helped me through parts of this project.

Goodness, what a long story just for the making of one cushion but that's what I like - things around our home with a story to tell, hence filling our home with memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, you know you want to comment! Have you tried anything like this? Do you want a few more snippets of information about this project to help you do something similiar? Has it inspired you or given you ideas to do it differently?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...