Saturday 12 May 2012

My mum is 70

Hello there
Yes, my mum is now 70 but she's very lucky in that she doesn't look it - me and my sisters can only hope it's in the genes, although some days I think I look older than that already!
One of the things I did for her was make a cushion cover. It can't be classed as a present as such though, as she chose and paid for the material but I finally got my act together and made it in time to give her on the day. I have a range of old missmatched cushion covers in this lounge, which is inexcusable really as they can be so easy to make and make such a difference to a room.

I found a quick way to get the size of the circular cushion cover on the patternreview website, so that was quick and easy and I just did overlap closure.

I used the 'large' Clover yo-yo template. They don't turn out to be what I would call large but suppose they are bigger than the small. I'm not 100% enamoured with them but they just worked out ok with the material I had. You get a full set of instructions with them but I've made a few alterations to make them work for me.
    Don't use the same colour thread as the fabric,
 as I find it gets lost, making it hard to keep track
of where you're up to. This thread is a perfect match,
which ironically made it totally 'imperfect'.
 
I marked the starting point on the plate because despite
 the fact that you need to superimpose the last stitch over the first one,
 I find it quicker to know exactly which is the first one,
 rather than relying on memory.

I found the centre sewing to be annoying with the application
I was doing, as the back hole buttons didn't fit in nicely,
to the middle,so I left that out with the last two flowers.

One flower definitely wasn't enough though, since it's the same fabric as the cushion cover, so I did three in the end.


I'm still not happy about the shape of the cover as I should've added the 'belt' I made for it to put between the top and bottom layer. I may well pinch the cushion off mum to add that at a later date.

Take care out there

1 comment:

  1. Diane I love the Regency style fabric, your Mum has good taste!
    Your yo-yos look fabulous... I must have a go at making them they add a cosy feel :)
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you know you want to comment! Have you tried anything like this? Do you want a few more snippets of information about this project to help you do something similiar? Has it inspired you or given you ideas to do it differently?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...